What does corporate ownership look like in veterinary medicine?
In corporate veterinary medicine the decisions are taken out of the hands of the veterinarian. Here’s a classic example: it’s decided in Arizona, that every practice in the corporation is going to run a urinalysis on every dog that comes in sick. Is that bad medicine? No it is not. In fact, 10% of the time it’s an appropriate test. The other 90% of the time it’s just contributing to the bottom line, and the customer doesn’t know any better. Would the veterinarian do that? Probably not, because prior to 1960 they would have a personal and professional reputation that they would not tarnish with unnecessary tests.
I will write a third article that describes another 15 ways that corporate veterinary medicine costs the customer time and money, but for this article I will only include one more:
Let’s say that your dog has a disorder and you take him to the vet. And let’s say that that disease or illness has five different rule outs.
That means, five different possibilities for what it is.
In private practice, The veterinarian can use their experience and certain aspects of the physical exam in the presence or absence of a particular symptom to “decide“ that one or more of the five possibilities is not present in this case. The independent veterinarian can choose to pursue one or two diagnoses.
In many corporate practices, the legal department mandates let the veterinarian rule out every single possibility. There are legal, and financial reasons for that policy. What does that translate into real dollars?
In a specialty practice, the diagnosis of some sort of bone cancer or bone marrow cancer might cost as much as $6000. And that would be very high. In corporate practice that diagnosis would necessarily cost $21,000. There are no clients that could pay that, and in my opinion too many animals are put to sleep in corporate practices because the veterinarian, and the customer are Basically obligated to a ‘financial albatross’ of a work up without wiggle room to allow things like hunches, best guess,Therapeutic diagnoses, and other wonderful options and luxuries available to independent practitioners.
Enter your email address for a free PDF of this article including its images.Enter your Email Address
My Favorite Amazon Recommendations
Items and content will not show in "Reader View" check your browser.
PraziPro for Flukes
Buy Some Good Koi?
Best Food, Ever
Pro Air 60 Aerator is a VERY high output air pump pushing my whole fish room (17+ drops), and I have one at home driving everything there, and I have one as a back up.
Topical For Koi and Pond Fish Ulcers
Koi Health & Disease
I have over ten of these Titanium Heaters in my fish room and at home. They're a paradigm shift in aquarium heating. They're titanium and 400W for under $30! Whaaaaaaaaat?
CyroPro by Hikari is safe and easy for Anchor Worms and Fish Lice.
Whatever heaters you use, back yourself up with a temperature controller, it'll turn on, and off your heaters. If your heater seizes "on" at least the thermostat will stop a tragedy.
LifeGuard by Tetra is a tablet version of a tame 'chloramine-t' or 'halamid' compound that's easy to get and good on bacterial infections, in baths.
For me, filtration-of-choice
Rubber sided, round, nettable tanks
1200 Watt heater, on a thermostat held securely above the waterline, works GREAT as a large tank heater. That's all I'll say because there's risk of electrocution and all that. But then, even in a bucket you could get killed. Sound like fun?
What Does Ajax Eat?